For years I used to eat dairy cream of all kinds (and fat levels!). When I was very young I knew it has lots of fat, which I tried to avoid of course. When I got older I realized it also has lots of cholesterol, which I also tried to avoid. But even when I really tried to get away from dairy cream – it was very difficult because I just loved white pasta and potato with cream!
Today, as a vegan, I had to find a good vegan replacement. I found myself acting like a 40 something years old single who becomes very picky about her future mate (now that she is old enogh to know what she wants!) I became very picky with my cream sauce. It shouldn’t be dairy, of course. It shouldn’t contain cholesterol or chemicals.No preservatives. On the other hand, it should be tasty. Not less than the dairy one! It should be white and creamy, and smell really – but really! good.
And I found it! It’s made out of raw cashew and is very healthy and simply delicious! This is a great recipe for Gnocchi with Cashew Cream:
What you need:
* 1 large pack of Gnocchi (the non-egg version, look for the natural packages)
* 5-6 Fresh basil leaves, chopped VERY thin!
* 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped well
* About 2-3 spoons olive oil
* optional: pinch of grounded nutmeg
* Salt and pepper to taste
For the cream:
* 2 cups raw cashew
* 2 cups water
What to do:
* Cook the Gnocchi according to the instructions on the package, drain and put in a bowl with a little bit olive oil on the Gnocchi so it will not stick.
* Blend the cashew and water together in a blender until smooth.
* Fry the garlic with olive oil in a pan; when the garlic is golden add the cashew cream, cook to boil and then add the basil leaves and stir.
* Pour the cream on the Gnocchi.