Consider this: when you apply any kind of cream/lotion on your skin, it’s pretty much like you have been eating eat! About 80% of the cream will get into your blood, believe it or not. Try to take a minute of your time to read the cream’s ingredients and you will not be too happy – there is almost nothing there that you would eat, or would like to have running in your blood by any chance!!!
Now please, do not fall to all those “natural”, “organic” and other nice words that are written on the well designed bottles with pictures of fruits, vegetables and green leaves. Usually, there is nothing between these beautiful, fresh-looking pictures to the chemical bomb that you apply on your skin. It’s a trap that was made to make you feel better about your cosmetic choices. There is no lotion, cream, shampoo, soap or anything that will have a 5-10 years shelf life without preservatives! And if you think that a little bit of preservatives will not harm, remember that you are using those every day, so it’s little, and little, and little, day after day. Eventually that’s a lot! Lifetime of chemicals, some are very dangerous!
Most creams irritate the skin and may cause eczema and other skin conditions that we don’t like.
My personal solution for an amazing, 100% natural, home made skin care are my very own body butter and moisturizer cream that I make by myself and use every day. They are wonderful on my skin, have a beautiful natural scent of aromatherapy oils, and the results are amazing! It helps a lot with dry skin, irritated skin, eczema and other skin conditions.
True – their ‘shelf life’ is not too long: 3-4 months for the moisturizer and about 1 year for the body butter, but who cares when I make it myself for me and for couple of my friends, and we use it fresh?
So here they are, great recipes for natural, DIY home made moisturizer cream and body butter!
Before you start, please make sure to clean ALL your pots, containers and cutlery that are used to make the creams with alcohol spray! Remember – our kitchen is not a lab; it has food, and food contain bacterias. So the best way to avoid bacteria in the creams is to clean everything with alcohol spray (don’t worry about having alcohol in your cream; it will evaporate long before your cream will ever touch it).
The tools needed are:
* Double boiler pot
* Glass containers to hold the ready creams (must be well closed).
* Spoon to mix (no wood!)
* Lots of towel papers to clean up
* For the body butter you need a good standing mixer, and you must clean it well with alcohol spray before use
Please use as much as possible in organic ingredients! You don’t do all this work to get unwanted chemicals!
What you need:
* 1.5 cup of solid cocoa butter (or any other solid butter such as Shea)
* 1/2 cup coconut oil or jojoba oil
What to do:
* Use a double boiler to gently melt all the oils until completely liquid. Please use a very low heat (low enough so you can touch the pot without burning your fingers)
* Allow to chill in the freezer until the oil mixture begins to firm, but has not turned completely solid (about 20-30 minutes)
* Using a standing mixer, whip the semi-solid mixture until you get a nice whipped cream that you feel like eating
* Scoop into glass jars. Close well and don’t forget to share with friends. They will thank you!
Your body butter will react to temperature change: it may melt in hot weather and turn solid again when it’s cold. Keep it in a cool place as much as possible and don’t expose to sun or heat.
Shelf Life: About 1 year (in a dark cool place!). Make sure to only touch it with clean hands.
First, create serum base:
Mix 25 ml. grape seed oil, 25 ml. jojoba oil and 15 ml. rose hip seed oil in small glass container. You get a total of 65 ml. fabulous serum!
You may create an extra serum and store it in a small glass containers that will allow you to use it when your skin is very dry. I use it also as a shiny lip balm!
For the cream:
* 65 ml Serum
* 75 ml boiled water that were cooled off
* 25 ml vegan natural Glycerin
* 1 table-spoons emulsifier wax (vegan)
* 1 table spoon steric acid
* Couple of drops from your favourite organic essential oil (I love lavender, jasmine or the combination of both of them)
What you do:
* On a double boiler pot, very low heat (low enough so you can touch the pot without burning your fingers), melt the emulsifier wax with the steric acid.
* After total melt, add the serum and the water and the glycerin.
* Add the essential oil drops.
* turn the heat off and remove the pot to a place where it can cool. Blend well couple of times until it cools.
You know it’s ready when it looks a little bit like pudding.
* Pour to glass bottles or jar (only when it’s not hot anymore). You may add 1-2 drops of essential oil to each glass container and shake to blend.
Shelf Life: 6 months in the refrigerator, 3-4 months outside (in a dark cool place!). Make sure to only touch it with clean hands.
If you like, you can create cute labels for your jars or containers! Write the name of the product you created, add a logo or bold title, and even write the ingredients! Now you can use it as an amazing gifts to the people you love!!!